Monday, March 14, 2011

Tools to Use in the Valley

Living a life on purpose is not without its challenges. Without question, doing what you love and making a living at it is very rewarding. However, like all journeys, it has within it, mountain top experiences and valley experiences.

In the 17 years I have been a professional storyteller, the valley experiences have included:
  • Drastic fluctuations in my income
  • Feelings of isolation from working independently
  • Sacrificing personal luxuries to maintain financial stability 
How long I stay in the valley often depends on how effectively I use and apply the following tools:
  • Journaling: It is the best and cheapest brand of therapy.
  • Prayer/Meditation: If I am consistently spending time in quiet reflection, it gives me an inner calm that often can override the outer chaos.
  • Support Circle: It has been a blessing to be in a circle of people who can encourage and inspire me when I am in the valley. The organizations, National Association of Black Storytellers and Keepers of the Culture have given me immeasurable support on this journey. My own circle of family and friends have also given me unwavering support. If you do not have such a support circle in your life, it may be time to change your flock
On your journey, if you find yourself in the valley, employ these tools and let me know how they work for you. If you have other tools that you have found effective, please share, I am always looking for more. If you need help discovering your life’s purpose, check out my e-book. If you join the mailing list, you can get a free excerpt of the book.

 
Whatever path you take, just remember that the valley is the space between two mountains.

 

 

 

No comments: