In the 17 years I have been a professional storyteller, the valley experiences have included:
- Drastic fluctuations in my income
- Feelings of isolation from working independently
- Sacrificing personal luxuries to maintain financial stability
- Journaling: It is the best and cheapest brand of therapy.
- Prayer/Meditation: If I am consistently spending time in quiet reflection, it gives me an inner calm that often can override the outer chaos.
- Support Circle: It has been a blessing to be in a circle of people who can encourage and inspire me when I am in the valley. The organizations, National Association of Black Storytellers and Keepers of the Culture have given me immeasurable support on this journey. My own circle of family and friends have also given me unwavering support. If you do not have such a support circle in your life, it may be time to change your flock.